From Glottopedia
Revision as of 21:00, 13 February 2009 by Wohlgemuth (talk | contribs) (utrecht)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Flap is a sound articulated in such a way that one articulator, usually the tongue tip, is drawn back and then allowed to strike against another articulator in returning to its rest position (cf. Ladefoged (1975))


in American English /r/ in mirror or /t/ in dirty are often flaps.


Utrecht Lexicon of Linguistics


  • Ladefoged 1975. A course in phonetics, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, New York.