- Phonetics_and_Phonology, Phonetics_and_phonolgy, Phonetics, and Phonology (cf. category list) all coexist and should possibly be merged into one category. As both areas are sometimes hard to distinguish, a superordinate category like 'Phonetics and Phonolgy' with two subordinate categories for either of them could considered.
- Valency and Valence should also be merged into one category as they name the same topic.
Moreover, a closer look into the category seems necessary. There are several categories that shouldn't be major categories but rather subordinate ones. Tasks like this could either be done by hand or via the usage of a bot. The possibility to create something like a category tree doesn't only make it easier to navigate the page but also allows the usage of - for example - plugins that automatically sort articles into their superordinate categories when they are put into a subordinate one.
A further suggestion that came up in yesterdays conversation is one regarding category languages: most of Glottopedia's users are students which most likely will search for articles and categories in their native language. Since there is quite a number of German categories (and some even have a portal already), the idea was to allow creating categories both in English and the respective article languages. This wouldn't go along with the original idea of having all category names in English, but might be worth thinking about as it would allow Glottopedia to be searchable way easier and would additionally enable the category tree to be more specific. It would also prevent categories from getting too large because they subsume articles about the same topics in several languages.
Some additional points by me
- Articles should only be added into their laguage's categories. On the category pages (and portals) themselves one should place links to the same categories in other languages.
- We need some kind of plugin like categrory tree ( http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTree ) to avoid cluttering articles with superordinate categories' labels. This would also be extremely useful for articles on languages / doculects.
- The categories need proper definitions and guidelines.
- The metalanguage categories like DE, EN, ZH should not be at root level. They ought to be subsumed under some more general Metacategory.